Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

6.25.2008

"A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself."

Last night I got to spend some time with one of my best friends, Kim. We were assigned to be roommates my sophomore year of college. I have to admit, I was a little nervous after the first time I talked to her. We talked on the phone once before moving in for the school year. She was so different from me. The thing I noticed right away was that she was kind of shy. I am not shy. If you know me, you know this. I was really worried that I would "scare her off" by being the extrovert that I am. I remember thinking after the first night of rooming together..."This might actually work!"

I couldn't figure out what it was, but we just seemed to "get" each other. We couldn't be more different, yet she seemed to understand everything I was going through, and I everything she was going through. I never really had any close girl friends before college. They really just got on my nerves. Most of them were nice to your face, but were vicious behind your back. So this having a good girl friend was kind of new to me. I was sure that I was going to mess it up somehow, and she would grow to hate me by Fall Break; and the rest of the year would be hell. I was almost more nervous about this friendship than any romantic relationship! I had met my other best friend, Erica, the year before, and thought for sure that I couldn't manage to make two amazing friends two years in a row! Thank the Lord above I was wrong.

Like I said before, Kim just "gets" me. I can tell her anything and not worry about her judging me. I don't have to have a filter when I talk to her. Anything that comes to my mind, I can just say. I love that our conversations sometimes consist of both us telling stories that are in no way related to what the other person is saying, and its OK. It still amazes me how close we are when we're so different. She's quiet, organized, and patient. I'm loud, cluttered, and impatient...SO impatient! But I guess that's why it works. We're so different we "help" each other.

I'm so glad I got to see her last night, and will get to see her one more time before she heads back home to Cleveland!! Thank you, Kim, for knowing the real me, and still loving me the same!

1 comments:

Lindz said...

Yay for best friends. I honestly think the best friends are those that are slightly different than you, they tend to complement you the best :)

Oh and props to you for always being so dang cute and photogenic in your pics.