Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

6.30.2008

Hey Chicago! Let's do it again sometime...

We had a great time this weekend in Chicago! I only wish we could have spent more time there. I loved walking along Michigan Avenue and seeing all the beautiful buildings, and of course the wonderful shopping! We got there around noon EST on Friday, and were lucky enough to be able to get into our room right then. We walked to the Rainforest Cafe for lunch and then caught a cab to the Shedd Aquarium. The "campus" the Aquarium, Soldier Field, and The Field Museum are on is gorgeous! We didn't get a chance to really walk around it too much, but I definitly want to go back and just take the time to walk along Lake Michigan, and just see everything there is to see around there.
Beluga Whale at Shedd

Skyline from Shedd

That night we went to Gino's East for some real Chicago style pizza! It was such a fun restaurant! The walls and booths were covered in people's signatures that had been there before. My favorite one (which of course I didn't get a picture of!) was just as we went up the steps and said "World Champions! Colts: 29, Bears: 17" I thought that was kinda funny being in Chicago! But back to the real reason we went...the pizza. Seriously...the BEST.PIZZA.EVER. I have never had pizza that tasted so good! I will now compare everything to that one piece of pizza!! I can't wait to go back to Chicago just for that pizza!!

BEST.PIZZA.EVER.

We finished the night with some shopping. I almost bought a bag from Coach for the diaper bag, but the only stores that had the pink were all the way in California and Arizona! Probably for the better...save the $$$ and just get the one from Pottery Barn Kids. Tony picked out a couple Cubs onsies for Madison that I think are just darling!


We also got a cute Cubs shirt for our niece, Sarah.


Saturday we went to the Field Museum. It was really nice when we got there so we went over to Soldier Field. I would love to go back for a game sometime! It's such a different feeling walking up to Soldier Field than it was going to the RCA Dome for the Colts games. I don't know exactly why, but it was just...different.




The Field Museum was OK. I'm glad we went, but I don't think we'll go back the next time we go to Chicago. I don't know if I just wasn't in the mood for it, or what, but I was kinda bored the whole time. That made me feel SO bad for Tony because the whole reason we went there was for me. I think I would have been happier going to an art museum. Maybe next time!

That night we went to Ditka's restaraunt. We were sitting there enjoying the delicious bread and sweet butter when Tony made a comment about how cool it would be if Mike Ditka was there and sitting at the table right next to us. About 10-15 minutes later I heard some people clapping. I looked up, and there was Mike Ditka. As I'm telling Tony, "Mike Ditka's here!" I'm watching to see where he goes. He walks over the a table two tables away from ours, and sits down with his family! HOLY COW! Are you kidding me?! I know! Now you're all wondering "where are the pics?!" Well there are none because I didn't want to interrupt his dinner with his family, and I sure as heck wasn't going to try and sneak a pic like a paparrazi! I'm still a little bummed that we didn't just go over and ask for a picture, but I really didn't want to intrude. Tony said later that he should have told him that we were huge Bears fans, and I was pregnant with our first child, a son, that we were going to name Mike. I told him there was no way I could keep a straight face through all of that since the only part of that statement that was true was that I am pregnant with our first child!


The food at Ditka's was amazing as well! I had an angel hair pasta with garlic, olive oil, crab and shrimp. The portion was huge. It didn't even look like I ate anything when I was finished! The pieces of crab and the shrimp were huge. I would definitly reccommend going if you're going to be in the area. I was just past the Watertower shops, and half way down the street.

We finished the night at Navy Pier with some ice cream and fireworks. I was so tired when we finally got back to the hotel. We did ALOT of walking that day. I know at one point walking back from Navy Pier I was "typical prego!" I had my hand on my back as I waddled down the street. I'm sure I looked hot!


The weekend was great, but I wish we would have taken one more day. We didn't get a chance to go to Millineum Park (we were right there while at the aquarium and museum!) or to the Sears Tower. We tossed around the idea of coming back sometime when Madison's around 2 or so. I hope! I told Tony if we weren't starting a family, (and if the winters weren't 50x worse than Indiana! :)) I would love to live there!


Sorry this was such a long post, but I wanted to get everything in there!!

0 comments: